In response to VSD Magazine's request from Machine Vision Industry Pundits, FastVision CEO Dr. Joseph Sgro provided several preductions, including the following points:
What software algorithms will be required to address emerging applications?
1. FPGA programing will be more common at the end user level. Several new tools from Math Works, NI and other support this.
2. As sensor sizes continue to grow, removal of un-interesting background image data will become mandatory.
3. Colorization of Bayer pattern images needs will improve, larger sensors or tuned color patterns will drive this.
4. Dynamic range extension of images (greater than 12 bits of dynamic range).
What advances will be made in high-speed and low-light level imaging?
1. Very low noise CMOS sensors will allow expansion into the higher speeds and lower light levels which now require EECCDs or intensifiers.
2. Higher pixel conversion gains because of the lower noise making sensors more sensitive.
3. CMOS will begin to supplant CCD as CMOS imager performance (noise, pixel number, and frame rates) pass CCD sensors.